Saturday, April 7, 2012

Nothing Better than Spring... Except a Warmer Spring

After an initial heat wave it has been really slow and cold. I'm keeping all of my tomatoes inside at night as it has been consistently just above freezing. Also, I just replaced the top to my cold frame and I'm unsure how well it insulates.

I guess as I get older and have less free time due to work and tending the children as well as the garden, I'm less willing to take risks.

This year's plants are coming along well. Here are my Tigerella tomatoes which are red with orange stripes. I'm pretty excited to see them. I got close to 100% germination in part because of the seed warming mat I bought this year. It's been a great help reducing the time for seed germination from about a week to 4-5 days. That really helps when space is limited, as it always is this time of year.

No comments: